Well, what can I say about the Dynamic Neural Retraining System?!
SO many amazing things!
The most important thing is that a brain retraining program called the Dynamic Neural Retraining System (DNRS) helped me heal from chronic illness so that I can once again live an active, vibrant life.
God brought the Dynamic Neural Retraining System into my life at just the right time. In April 2017, I was debilitatingly ill with Lyme Disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia, Food Intolerances, and a handful of other conditions. I was treated by a wonderful integrative doctor, but progress seemed to be at a standstill.
While initial treatment helped lessen physical burdens, standard treatment for the conditions just wasn’t working as we’d hoped. While doing some research (which is one of the things my husband would say I do best), I heard about a program called the Dynamic Neural Retraining System and how it helped those with chronic illnesses heal from their conditions.
I was intrigued…
What I Learned about the Limbic System and Chronic Illness Recovery with DNRS
Through hours of research with my brain-fogged mind, I learned that the Dynamic Neural Retraining System is a neuroscience based program with a focus on reducing chronic stress on the limbic system. It stops the fight or flight response in your body so that all systems can begin to work properly again.
The stress response on bodies with chronic illness is unconscious. It isn’t caused by us and it isn’t our fault we’re ill. (READ THAT AGAIN!) It’s not your fault that you’re sick. You didn’t just “think the wrong thoughts” to make yourself sick.
I’ve learned by studying neuroplasticity that limbic system dysfunction (which includes the chronic fight or flight stress response) can be brought on by factors such as viral or bacterial infections, emotional stress (from the past or present), mold or chemical exposure, physical injury, or psychological trauma (death of loved one or divorce).
By reading information on the Dynamic Neural Retraining System’s website and watching video testimonials, I learned that limbic system dysfunction is often brought on by a ‘perfect storm’ of contributing factors. No matter what those contributing factors are, we can take what is known about neuroplasticity and brain retraining to help ourselves recover!
Essentially, DNRS teaches that something beyond your control (like an initial illness) triggered your brain to go into overdrive and cause a stress response that resulted in chronic illness. But there are tools available to help you rewire your brain so it is working properly again and you can heal!
DNRS, Renewing Your Mind, and Christian Faith
The Dynamic Neural Retraining System uses speech, movement, and visualizations to rewire your brain from a state of fight or flight into a normal, calmer state that helps your body heal. When I first heard about DNRS, I was skeptical. Honestly, I didn’t want to just try more “positive thinking,” but I quickly realized that DNRS is not like that.
I’ve found that using the tools in DNRS has made a huge difference in my walk with the Lord. I’m able to calm my limbic system by renewing my mind in Biblical truth. One part of the DNRS program involves noticing when symptoms are getting worse and then rewiring your brain by changing your thinking patterns. I’m able to recognize lies of the enemy I’m believing during these times and then replace those thoughts with truth from God’s Word.
When doing Dynamic Neural Retraining System exercises, I’m being transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12:2). I’m also taking thoughts captive and replacing lies with truth (2 Corinthians 10:5).
Something I really like about DNRS is that it provides you with tools and a process for retraining your brain, but you are able to customize the things you say and think to align with your own belief system. In one part of my daily practice with DNRS, I regularly say something about “being strong.” I say this with the realization that only through the strength of Christ can I be strong. From my Christian perspective, I know that I am weak and only through Christ’s work in me can I be made strong.
DNRS includes some visualizations but you are not told specifically what to visualize. You create visualizations based on your memories and future goals/dreams (these are desires God has placed on my heart that I hope to have the opportunity to be faithful in). The program give examples of how to do the visualizations, but then you can choose to visualize what you would like.
There were many times in my journey with chronic illness when I felt far from God. DNRS helped calm my limbic system so I could move beyond intense brain fog, anxiety, and depression and actually rest in the presence of God. It’s been pretty amazing how God created our bodies and brains to heal! My faith is much stronger now than it was before DNRS.
While these are some ways I incorporate my Christian faith into my daily practice with DNRS, it’s hard to fully grasp what this looks like unless you try the program. If you’ve tried a whole lot of other treatment plans and are still not getting better, DNRS may be the missing piece of the puzzle for you like it was for me. You can get your copy of DNRS here — > I’d really appreciate it if you use my affiliate link if this post has been helpful in your decision-making!
In the first week of using DNRS, I saw these results:
- Energy levels increased
- No panic attacks – I was having them almost daily before starting DNRS
- Increased strength to walk – I began to go on walks up to 1/2 mile when I previously had been unable to go more than a block or two
- Depression lessened – I was happy, genuinely happy for the first time in a long time!
- Less anxious about social situations – was able to communicate clearly and actually have fun!
- Was able to attend a wedding and dance for quite a while before getting winded
- Better able to relate to my boyfriend – there was a sense of peace between us that we previously were unable to achieve due to my depression/anxiety symptoms
- Brain fog began to lift
As I implemented DNRS over the next few months, I saw these results:
- Panic attacks infrequent and less severe in intensity
- Increased strength and energy to walk – I can now walk up to 3 or 4 miles
- Depression was no longer a regular issue (In fact, I no longer needed anti-depression supplements!)
- Was able to go on a week-long family vacation and eat whatever I wanted
- Was able to travel alone to a 4-day writers’ conference, attend every session, socialize, and eat whatever I wanted
- Pain almost nonexistent aside from around my period and times I pushed myself too hard
- Had the energy and stamina to volunteer at a week long Vacation Bible School at church
- Reading comprehension and ability significantly increased – could only read short passages of the Bible before DNRS but could then read multiple chapters in one sitting
- Neurological issues from Lyme Disease have diminished – these symptoms didn’t happen often, and when they did, I recovered more quickly than before DNRS
- Brain fog only occurred occasionally
- I began to make plans with people and was able to follow through without worrying about illness getting in the way!
- My relationship with my boyfriend actually became stable! We could finally have open, honest conversations without my brain spiraling out of control. And you know what?! He proposed!
DNRS results 1 year after beginning the program (as of April 20, 2018)
- Everything above has continued to get better and better!
- Jonathan and I are now happily married – and I made it through the wedding, mini-honeymoon, and first couple weeks feeling pretty great the whole entire time! It was so cool how others at the wedding noticed just how much better I’m doing!
- Symptoms are minimal and often non-existent (and only come around if I push myself too hard for too many days in a row… like only sleeping 5 hours per night for a week… not good!)
- I can work multiple days in a row as a substitute teacher and get up at 4:30 to teach Chinese kiddos online.
- Anxiety doesn’t overtake me anymore. In fact, lately I’ve been a deep sense of calm. It’s pretty cool!
- The bounce-back time for any symptom flare is only a fraction of the time it used to be on the rare occasion things flare up.
- I actually live a pretty “normal” life…
I would say that while I’m doing VERY well as a result of doing DNRS, I can’t say I am 100% healed or that it was some miracle cure (although I’m likely 90-95% healed)… but I can say the Dynamic Neural Retraining System changed my life in extreme ways. My life is night and day different today than it was just one year ago!
The links in the post are affiliate links. This means if you choose to purchase DNRS, a small portion of the sale (at no added cost to you) will go toward keeping this site running. I love being able to provide free content on this site for those who are facing chronic illnesses, so purchases through my affiliate links are a big blessing!!!
If you want to explore DNRS a bit more and then decide to buy it later, I’d really appreciate it if you use my affiliate link: https://emilylofgren.com/brainretraining. Thank you for your support! I’ll be excited to hear how the program works for you!
Other Posts about the Dynamic Neural Retraining System:
Download your FREE copy of Finding Hope Through the Fog today and you'll get:
- The story of my battle with chronic Lyme Disease
- Practical application questions and scripture to bring hope
- Encouragement for your journey
- Personal prayer support at any time!